- Friday-Sunday, April 15-17, 2016: AUW Spring Retreat at Koinonia
Koinonia Retreat Center
Koinonia Retreat Center is located on Lake Sylvia, surrounded by 114 acres of Old Prairie, Big Woods, and lakeshore. It is 80 miles northwest of the Twin Cities, near Annandale. Special features include a labyrinth, wood-fired sauna, and miles of forest and prairie trails. For more information, go towww.koinoniaretreatcenter.com/. The address is 7768 Pilger Avenue NW, South Haven, MN 55382. Telephone: (888) 801-7746.
Retreat participants stay on site, with the majority in semi-private rooms, with shared bathrooms down the hall. All meals from Friday dinner to Sunday lunch are provided. Carpooling options will be available.
Facts about Koinonia:
- The three main buildings are handicapped accessible.
- Its wood-fired sauna holds 10-15.
- Its outdoor labyrinth is based on the Chartres Cathedral pattern.
- A trail along Lake Sylvia leads to “Listening Point”, a quiet, calm, and private place for meditation and conversation.
- Koinonia is one of the best birding sites in central Minnesota.
- The main lodge, Carlson Commons, has wi-fi.
QUESTIONS NOW? For more info about Koinonia, check out its website www.koinoniaretreatcenter.org.
What to Pack
____ Casual clothing (layers)
____ Jacket, hat/gloves, rain gear, etc
____ Walking/hiking shoes or boots (it could be muddy on the trails)
____ PJs, robe, slippers/flip-flops (shared bathrooms are down the hall)
____ Flashlight is highly recommended. Buildings have exterior lights but paths do not.
____ Pillow (supplied ones are thin)
____ Soap & Bath towel (the supplied towels are thin, rough & small)
____ Alarm clock
____ Ear plugs (we’re supplying these too)
____ Extension cord just in case (if you have a CPAP)
____ Yoga mat (don’t worry if you don’t have one)
____ Comfy clothing for yoga, swimsuit & towel for sauna (optional)
____ Personal check or cash $$ for optional massage and spiritual direction sessions
____ Water bottle
____ Camera & Binoculars
____ Knitting and handwork
____ Board or card games (some supplied)
____ Folding Lawn chair for campfire (Note: no bonfire session is scheduled but you may do your own)
Please Do Not Bring
- Alcoholic beverages or drugs
- Perishable food; you can bring special foods but you cannot use the kitchen facilities, per health dept code. (Snacks including gluten-free will be provided by AUW.)
- Pets (exceptions for guide dogs and companion animals)
- Perfume or heavily-scented lotions as some of us may have allergies, asthma, or sensitivities to scents.
Note: Bedding is provided (pillow, sheets, one blanket, one towel, one washcloth) by Koinonia.
Directions to Koinonia
7768 Pilger Ave NW, South Haven, MN 55382
Konoinia is located just outside of Annandale on Hwy 55. See online maps athttp://koinoniaretreatcenter.com/directions.html
Most Direct from the Twin Cities (approx 80 minutes)
— Head west on State Highway 55 to 2.5 miles beyond Annandale. (Note that near Annandale, 55 joins up with Hwy 24.) After Annandale, you’ll pass Montgomery Ave, Nevens Ave. Next is Oliver Ave.
— Turn left (south) on Oliver (also called Cty Rd 3) and drive 0.4 mile.
— Turn right (west) on 80th Street (big Koinonia sign). Continue one mile.
— Turn left (south) on Pilger Avenue and in a minute you’ll see the Koinonia driveway (big sign).
The main parking lot is beyond the Main Lodge, to the left, on a little rise. There is also a limited number of spots in front of Columbine Bunk-bed Dorm and Caretaker Cottage.